1. Ahoy there! Be sure to read this important announcement regarding Pirates Online Retribution's official Open Beta release date! Retribution is at hand!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Pirates Online Retribution needs Python Developers! If you are fluent in Python and are interested in helping bring back Pirates Online for good, then please email us at support@piratesonline.us! Please also be sure to check out the following Help Wanted thread!
  3. After several days of conversing with the bulk of our community, we have unanimously agreed upon a way to legally accept Forum donations. Users who donate will be gifted with a brand new "Supporter" nameplate along with several other unique abilities. You can donate directly here! :)
    Dismiss Notice

Recruiting Developer Hunting!

Discussion in 'POR General Discussion' started by Pearson Wright, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Pearson Wright

Pirate God POR Staff

Good morning,
    friends and fellow pirates!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I can't wait for Christmas! Anyways, in an effort to further hasten POR's already substantial progress, we've decided that we're going to undertake a major recruitment campaign and begin looking for additional developers so that we'll have more hands on deck for the purpose of getting things done even faster to meet our final May, 2017 game completion goal.

"Haha! So this means you guys aren't getting anything done and have no developers! Knew it!"

For sure, we've got a few TLOPO fanboys in our midst just dying to spout this off at the mouth, and despite the explanation I'm about to give, they'll probably do it anyway. That's TLOPO fanboys for you though. Anyways, no, this does not mean that "we're not getting anything done" or that we "Don't have any developers". We're getting a ton of things done, and have a substantially-sized team put together. Heck, we're currently the only game that's even accessible! That's pretty amazing! People fail to realize that we're literally progressing anywhere from 5 to 10 times as fast as TLOPO is, but in some regards, we do not have entirely as much done as them for one simple and unavoidable reason -- the age of our project. POR is only 1/10th as old as TLOPO as of right now, and so therefore, although we've beat the clock time and time again, we're still not totally caught up just yet. However, we'd definitely like to be!

After a lot of consideration, and close evaluation, I've concluded that in order to reach a stage of total completion by May, 2017, we're going to need to take on additional developers to speed up progress, and get things done more efficiently. We've already reached out to a number of communities on different websites, and forums. However, to increase our chances of success in finding talented individuals who may be willing to help out, we'd like to formally ask you all -- the community, to help us in finding additional developers!

Message your friends, your colleagues, your fellow employees, and anyone else you can think of who may be able to assist us in getting Pirates Online Retribution completed as quickly as possible!

The skills we're looking for include:
    • Familiarity with Python (Programming language)
    • Familiarity with C++ (Programming language)
    • Familiarity with Astron Database system
    • Familiarity with Mongo Database system
    • Familiarity with Panda 3D (Gaming Engine)
    • Familiarity with Linux
    Suggestions of places to look for developers:
    • Reddit
    • TTR Forums and TTR Reddit
    • Development Forums
    • Upwork
    • Personal connections (if applicable)
    (We've already outsourced to some of these places, but the likelihood of finding people will increase dramatically if more people post Help Wanted threads!)

Example post that you may use if you want:

Pirates Online Retribution is an emulator for the now defunct game Pirates of the Caribbean Online. We posses all of the resources for the game, and most of the client side code. However, we need help writing some of the server code as well as reverse-engineering various aspects of the client in order to make some of the features come into fruition.

Our emulator is currently publicly accessible, and in Alpha. We have a total of 7,000 registered players so far. We opened up roughly 2 months ago.

TL;DR - We're looking for Python developers with familiarity of the Panda 3D Engine! We have bounties on various issues which have to be fixed in order to perfect the game. For instance, we currently have a $300 bounty on "Sailing".

As of right now, the total remaining development budget for the completion of this project is $10,000.

Please contact our project manager directly at ilovebella991 on Skype to discuss this further. Alternatively, you may email him at pearsonwright1@gmail.com

Our Forums: https://piratesforums.com/
    Our Website: https://piratesonline.us/

Fair Winds The Crew @ Pirates Online Retribution

=========================================================================

Good luck, and happy hunting! ;)

Godspeed,
    Pearson Wright | Project Manager of POR/Pirates MC

2. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord POR Staff

Thanks Pearson , I think the community overall will be pleased to see how determined Pirates Online Retribution is to staying on schedule and keeping our promises to the community .

Natsu and Pearson Wright like this.
  3. COMMANDER

Pirate God

Awesome Mr Pearson! If there's anything I can do to help I will.. I'm easy to teach if a dev will help me as well.. Glad we're looking for more help to grow!

4. Pearson Wright

Pirate God POR Staff

UPDATE:

We've just taken on a new developer who will be assisting with AI development (enemy movement), and a few other things. He's been using Python for roughly 4 years, and has been involved with numerous Panda 3D oriented projects. :)

#4 Pearson Wright, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  5. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord POR Staff

AWESOME !!!!!And a big Welcome Aboard !!!!

6. COMMANDER

Pirate God

Amazing glad to have another aboard!

Fade, Natsu and Pearson Wright like this.
  7. DrSips_

POR Staff

Aye! All the welcomes go towards him!

As for the original purpose of the thread, I'll try to post that example on some appropriate forums to try recruit some developers.

8. Mark Blueswain

Supporter

Are you saying here that you pay developers for fixing certain issues? Because I have a cousin who has a degree in video game development and I believe she is unemployed at the moment (not sure if she still is though).

9. Pearson Wright

Pirate God POR Staff

That's correct.

10. Mark Blueswain

Supporter

11. Natsu

Pirate King Pirate Lord POR Staff

Couldn't have set it any better myself!!

Fade likes this.
  12. Natsu

Glad to hear it mate!!! The more the merrier!!

Fade and Adrianna Angel like this.
  13. Pearson Wright

Pirate God POR Staff

It's a commitment. Although, we have some developers who might work on POR one day a week, and others who might work on it 10 hours a day, every day.

DrSips_ likes this.
  14. Adrianna Angel

Pirate Lord POR Staff

YES INDEED ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!

Natsu likes this.
  15. Natsu

Looking forward to the new devs work! I'm sure they'll do a great job!!

Fade likes this.
  16. DrSips_

POR Staff

Reasons why the developers need much much more appreciation!

Arkayan, Adrianna Angel and Natsu like this.
  17. Natsu

Exactly!! Nonstop gratitude here we go!!

Fade and DrSips_ like this.
  18. Beardynator

POR Staff

im sure we will eventually find devs :D

Fade likes this.
  19. Beardynator

POR Staff

Indeed Gratitude all the way :D

Fade and Natsu like this.
  20. Natsu

AYE!!!